Estate Planning Information

Sherwin and Sleeth take great care in preparation of an effective Estate Plan. The following documents are essential in planning for incapacity and for the disposition of your estate upon death.

Power of Attorney for Personal Property: this document provides for the management of your financial affairs if you should become incapacitated (or whenever it is convenient for you to allow the person named to make decisions on your behalf).

Power of Attorney for Personal Care: allows you to stipulate who may make treatment and care decisions for you if you should be unable to make them yourself. It becomes effective only when you are incapacitated and unable to provide your Doctor, Nurses or any other health care professional with your instructions.

Advance Care Directive or “Living Will”: This direction may be included in your Power of Attorney for Personal Care. If you choose to make this direction, you will provide that if you are in a life-threatening or terminal medical condition you do not wish to have resuscitation or other medical treatment designed to prolong your life. Importantly, the Advance Care Directive is effective only if there is no “quality of life” likely to result from further medical treatment and you are in an incurable or irreversible medical condition which is likely to result in your death. If you choose not to include this direction, the person acting as your Attorney for Personal Care will have the responsibility to advise your Doctor in this regard.

Last Will and Testament: This is a document that “speaks from death” and provides for the distribution of your estate when you die. There are important decisions to make in preparing your Will which can include deciding on executor and trustees, making provision for future generations in the event that someone in your immediate family should predecease you, consideration of Spousal Trusts if your wife or husband is elderly or infirm, consideration of incapacitated beneficiaries and myriad of other issues.
Either Claire, Nora, or Russ can provide effective counsel and advice to make certain that your wishes are followed in your future care and in the disposition of your estate.

Mediation Information

More info coming soon...

Real Estate Information

Whether it’s buying, selling or placing a mortgage, dealing with real estate is one of the most important financial decisions you will make. Make certain that you get the right advice and find a lawyer that you are comfortable with to advise you.

Sherwin and Sleeth are experienced in all aspects of real estate transactions including residential, commercial and agricultural transaction.We are also familiar with transactions involving the purchase and sale of agricultural quotas.
Appointments are available outside our “regular” office hours and we will work around your schedule.

We deal with a wide variety of banks and financial institutions and will also work with you if you have made arrangements to deal with a private lender.
People are often confused about what it means to “port” and mortgage.
In fact, you never simply “pick up” the mortgage that exists on your present home and move it to the new home you have purchased; when you sell your home, it is required that you pay off the existing mortgage. If, however, you decide to keep your business with the original lender (and borrow more money than the amount remaining on your mortgage) that bank will often give you advantageous terms of interest rate and amortization etc. As well, they will most often forgive any penalty charge if the original mortgage was for a fixed term. There are many factors involved and we recommend that you shop and approach a variety of different lenders, or consider using a mortgage broker, so that you can be certain you are getting the mortgage which is right for you.

Land Transfer Tax

Real Estate purchases in Ontario are subject to the province’s Land Transfer Tax, which must be paid by the buyer when the transaction closes.
The City of Toronto has its own land transfer tax for purchases in the municipality, which must be paid in addition to the provincial land transfer tax.
The basic formula for calculating the provincial land transfer tax is:
• 0.5% up to and including $55,000
• 1% above $55,000 up to and including $250,000
• 1.5% above $250,000
• 2% above $400,000 where the land contains one or two single family residences.
If you are a first-time homebuyer you may be eligible for a partial or complete refund of your land transfer tax to a maximum of $2,000.

To calculate the land transfer tax you can expect to pay, try the Toronto Real Estate Board’s land transfer tax calculator by clicking here

Family Law Information

Whether you are facing a separation or considering divorce, Sherwin and Sleeth is prepared to assist you and make a stressful situation easier. Custody, child support, spousal support, access issues involving children and the equalization of your Net Family Property are all important considerations that require competent and professional advice.
Claire is a professional trained Mediator and qualified as a Collaborative Family Law lawyer and many family issues can best be resolved through these avenues.
We can make high-conflict situations better.
First consultations are available at no or minimal costs. Call for an appointment today to make certain your legal rights are protected.

To calculate the amount of child support you can expect to pay or be paid, see the Government of Canada's child support calculator here.

General Practice Information

Sherwin and Sleeth offers legal services in a wide variety of areas in addition to those listed above. These include but are not necessarily limited to:

Civil Litigation – plaintiff and defendant

Corporate/Commercial – including incorporations, corporate record-keeping, and the purchase and sale of shares and assets

Labour and Employment law – employer and employee

Residential Tenancies – landlord and tenant

If you have a legal issue and you are not sure whether it falls into one of our practice areas, contact our office and we will do what we can to assist you. If we cannot provide you with legal advice, we will do our best to direct to you someone who can.

Continuing Legal Education and Professional Development

All Ontario lawyers are required to complete a certain number of hours of Continuing Legal Education and Professional Development each year. Most recently, our lawyers have completed courses in the following:

- Recent developments in Real Estate Law and Fraud
- Inter-generational Real Estate Transfers
- Residential Title Insurance
- Wills, Estates and Trust
- Employment Contracts
- Family Law
- The Taxation of Estates
- Social Media, Ethics and the Law

- Real Estate Law
- Safeguarding Real Estate Transactions
- Family Law
- Non-traditional Residential Property Arrangements
- Fraud Prevention